Followers

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Darlings, Nicole Krauss Is More Talented Than Nicole Kidman!!!!!!!!!

            
                                       For one thing, girls, she is more natural!!!!!  I mean, have you looked at Nicole Kidman lately??????  Scary!!!!!!!!  So much botox, she looks like the cloned robot she turns out to be at the end of the abysmal "Stepford Wives" remake.

                                         Miss Krauss' skin tones are all natural, and so, thankfully, is her writing technique. When she first appeared with "The History Of Love," I was enraptured; so much so, I read the book again, a few years later.  Now I am captivated by her latest book, "Great House."

                                          Even if I just had not come off "Mockingjay," the final volume of Suzanne Collins' "Hunger Games" trilogy, I think I would still have been captivated.  She uses the same device as she did in the other book--both are fictional histories of inanimate objects; in the first, a book, in this, a desk.

                                             This is a device that has been done by other writers, and will be done again, I am sure, but when it is done by Miss Krauss, it becomes an exploration of the human spirit.  Insightful, penetrating, emotionally lacerating, "Great House" is so compelling you may not want to leave its pages until
every one has been read.  I am surprised I did not miss train stops when I was reading. it was that absorbing.

                                                  Her sense of structure is brilliant; what in lesser hands might seem like a series of short stories strung together, are all interconnected, and the final revelation is a stunner.  And makes
the reader think.

                                                     But, most of all, "Great House" reminds one how pleasurable it is to read genuinely good fiction.  And how satisfying a reading experience can be.  I cannot wait to see what she is going to do next; she is carving herself a path as one of America's best post Modern Jewish writers.

                                                        One critic compared her to Philip Roth????????  I want to know what
he has been reading.  Krauss is as far from Roth as Gore Vidal is from William F. Buckley.  Not that Roth has not written some impressive work--and I am talking about "American Pastoral" here, not "Portnoy's Complaint"--but his canon lacks Krauss sensitivity.  I have read enough Roth; I do not need to read his canon.  I look forward to reading more of Miss Krauss.

                                                           Forget "The Hunger Games", girls, THIS is the real reading experience of the Summer!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: