Followers

Saturday, May 19, 2012

This Book Has Been On My Mind For Years!!!!!!!!!

             
                                            When I was very small, girls, and used to peruse the adult paperback sections of  books in stores, two covers seemed to stand out.  One was the above, and the other was a Dell paperback called "Karen" by Marie Killilea.  The former I eventually read (and its sequel, "With Love, From Karen") in college when I (briefly) took a course called "Introduction To The Psychology Of The Handicapped Child." This is when I briefly contemplated a career in Special Ed. Honey, I should have been IN Special Ed!!!!!!!!!

                                            But I never got around to reading "The Bridge Of San Luis Rey" till now.  Now, I have known Thornton Wilder for years, ever since cutting my teeth with "Our Town," which still gets performed these days.  'Bridge' was assigned to this book group I am still attached to, and while I could not be there for the discussion, I decided to read it, since I might not again be afforded the chance--and this forced me to.

                                              It is almost a novella, but the wealth of character and humanity within its pages is as rich and satisfying as if it were three times that length.  I had to laugh at the character named Brother Juniper; there was a cartoon character way back, named just that.   The book has an eerie relevance in the face of any of us who experienced in any way the 9/11 attacks.  And I had never read Wilder in prose, and was surprised at how skillful he was at it.  The only other novel of his I am familiar with, because I remember when it came out, was one he wrote late in his life, called "The Eighth Day."  I have never read that.

                                                Not only is this book rich and satisfying, it kept reminding me of Willa Cather's "Death Comes To The Archbishop," and I think, in a classroom setting, both books could be read in tandem with one another.

                                                 The skill of his novel writing, as stated, supplied the surprise. But the exploration of themes and philosophy did not.  Remember, this is the same man who  wrote the graveyard scene in "Our Town."

                                                  Though it recounts a sad event, the book manages to be both uplifting and inspirational.  I think all my girls should read it.  Maybe before the Summer Fashions arrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: